Search 43.4 million cemetery records at by entering a surname and clicking search:
Surname:

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Old script in research

I finally got to start doing research at Genline.com on my Swedish lines. They have copies of the original records, boy that handwriting is hard to read. I have seen some pages that were very nice and easier to read, but so far no such luck for me. I didn't have much to start with, but I did find a couple of things I think are the right people. I definitely found the marriage record for my great grandparents, who were the first to come to live in America, at least as far as I know. I wasn't sure what the names were following each of their names, so posted at the Sweden Genforum asking for help. One nice woman replied right away, she had most of it figured out, and as I was leaving a thank you, she posted the 1880 census which was full of information. I am going to try to decipher the handwriting as best as I can, I hate to ask for help again already. I decided to look online for some help reading the handwriting, most of what I found was German script, but some looked similar and then I stumbled on an old Swedish document for practicing writing, so it should help me. I found some help at Cyndi's List and then looking for fonts to download too. So I have 2 links to share. The font site has many fonts of various types. :)

http://www.cyndislist.com/handwrit.htm

www.fonts101.com

No comments: