Search 43.4 million cemetery records at by entering a surname and clicking search:
Surname:

Friday, January 22, 2010

1940 and 1950 U.S. census substitutes

Ancestry.com now has more phone directories which can be used as substitutes for the 1940 and 1950 U.S. census. I tried it out, not even signed into the site, and it came up with some basic information. Although not the city, which I knew, but just being able to get that is very useful. I was able to find some people in my lines and husband's line, to keep track of any moves by finding them in the directories. I have used other sites that have some directories also, and it is really great when they mention the occupation, which was the case at least in the 1940s and earlier. The voter registrations are very useful also. I was able to track the movement and even marriages of an individual who had been married briefly to a female relative, just using the voter registrations. I even verified to another person, who had my family line connected to one of her lines, that her family tree chart on Ancestry.com was not connected the way she thought. She did not change her information, which is totally wrong, but I know the correct information myself. So every little bit of information found helps with sourcing and to build the family connections, and their lives too.

No comments: